English‎ > ‎


Who is eligible for counseling services?

A: All ICU students can utilize services offered by the Counseling Center.  Friends, roommates, significant others, family members of students, as well as academic and administrative staff at the university, can also consult us regarding ICU students.  If you are uncertain about how to work out a situation, please feel free to contact us.

What kind of a problem can I discuss in counseling?

A: You can bring in any difficulties you may encounter in your university life; such topics as adjustment to ICU, interpersonal relationships, self-awareness, career paths, and physical and mental health, are commonly addressed in university counseling.  If necessary, we make referrals to other departments within ICU or outside resources, such as medical providers, to better meet your needs.

Does it have to be a serious problem or severe symptom to consult?

A: No.  You can discuss any aspects of your life at ICU.  Some students utilize counseling as a way to reflect on him/herself, and others discuss matters that are difficult to talk about with friends or family.  It is advisable that you come to consult with us before problems become very complicated.

Who is the Counseling Center staff?

A: Our staff include clinical psychologists, counselors experienced in student counseling, and a psychiatrist (once per week).

How is a counseling session conducted?

A: We usually meet with students individually, but when appropriate or needed, conduct couple, group, or family sessions.  Some students visit us for a couple of sessions, and others continue on a regular basis.  Sessions are conducted weekly, biweekly, or monthly, according to your needs and goals.

Do I need to make an appointment?

A: Appointments are preferred and can be made in person or by phone during our office hours (9:30 am to 4:30 pm).  In the case of an emergency, you can contact us to consult without scheduling an appointment.

Does it cost to receive counseling?

A: No.  Our services are free for ICU students.

How is my privacy handled?

A: We pay the utmost care to protect your personal information in accordance with the university regulations and other professional guidelines.

Is there an English-speaking counselor?

A: Yes.  We provide counseling in both Japanese and English.

Where can I get psychological support when the counseling center is closed?

A: Please refer to the below for emotional support in English or other languages when ICU Counseling Center is closed.

TELL Life Line and Chat Services (http://telljp.com/lifeline/)

Hotline in Spanish (Yokohama Inochino Denwa  http://www.lal-yokohama.org/LAL-esp.htm
Hotline in Portuguese (Yokohama Inochino Denwa http://www.lal-yokohama.org/LAL-por.htm

Mental health resources in non-Japanese languages are limited in Japan.  For Japanese resources, please refer to the counseling center's Japanese page (http://counseling.info.icu.ac.jp/home/faq#TOC--9).

Tokyo Medical Information Services in Non-Japanese Languages (English, Chinese, Korean, Thai, and Spanish) Call: 03-5285-8181 9AM-8PM, every day

Sexual Assault Relief Center Tokyo (Japanese only): Call 03-5607-0799 (https://sarc-tokyo.org/)

*For on-campus emergency, dial (0422) 33-3110 for ICU Security  Group.  Dial 110 (police) for off-campus emergency.